Sunday, May 2, 2010

My second Raleigh Twenty

I didn't write it up here, but in later December 2009 (just before Christmas in fact) I acquired a second Raleigh Twenty. A 1977 non-folding model with 451mm wheels.

Photobucket
This is how it was when I acquired it. It had to be sent by courier from Melbourne. I recall that the shipping came to about $25, so it does pay to shop around through different couriers to get the best shipping rates.

Raleigh Twenty at Macquarie University
It is no museum or collector's piece, it is a real working bicycle. Here is it, part of the transport display at Macquarie University earlier this year. It is sporting my Carradice Camper Longflap Saddlebag, which carries just about everything I need for university.

My Saddlebag
Another view of my saddlebag. Carradice quote the capacity for this bag as being 24 Litres, which is about the same as a single touring pannier. It has plenty of carrying capacity for my commuting and utility trips, although I do admit that I am considering fitting a front basket for the sake of convenience.

My non-folding Raleigh Twenty, April 2010
My non-folding Raleigh Twenty, April 2010. I've owned it for about 4 months, and it is largely original except for some new rubber, a longer Kalloy seat-post, a Brooks B67 saddle. I've added a new rear reflector and a mounted a bottle-holder on the handlebars. The only other replacement item has been a new cover plate for the 3-speed trigger shifter.

I ride my Raleigh Twenty the most out of any bicycle. Despite having only 3 gears, it is perhaps the most versatile little bicycle that I have ever owned. The addition of a front basket would make it more useful still, but I am quite content with the service it gives me. Except for new rubber, it has given me no trouble compared to my other bicycles.

1 comment:

  1. you may try this one.. if you had time.. Always ensure that the tax is paid and Insurance cover (Insurance policy) is within validity period. Keep Tax Receipt and Insurance policy at home and keep xerox copy in bike.Bikes Sydney

    ReplyDelete